Thursday 24 November 2011

Using blogs to support online learning

This relates to an article by Kerawalla et al. about catering for different groups and learning styles in an online course supported by a blog.


The main thing that struck me was that in such a small focus group there were so many uses of the blog - highlighted in the conclusions section "The range of behaviours we found within a group of 15 students demonstrates the flexibility of blogging, which may pose a challenge for educators who are designing courses with prescribed blogging activities" - the significance of the additional challenge to designing courses might be a straw on a camel's back from the outset?


I'm not sure which behaviour I exhibit but I certainly like to keep my comments 'light', there's enough 'serious' stuff in this 32 weeks without me adding to it.


A question I asked myself was what are the differences between this and a forum? Both offer a place to write your reflections and for others to comment. What am I talking about though when I say it is non-compulsory with an educational/social mix...? It could be either a blog or a forum from the H800 experience so far. My feeling was and still is that a blog is a lot more social and personal - less led by answering a question and more led by asking questions.


I also suspect that the communities mentioned in the article will develop, not just on a tutor-group level but also within that smaller group. I am sure that there are members of our group who we look out for and comment on more than others, also some lead and others follow/'lurk'. I think I'm a bit of a lurker - one of the nicer things I've been called.

No comments:

Post a Comment